Nikon announces Z30 vlogger and creator-focused mirrorless camera
Nikon has announced the Z30, the third ‘DX’ (APS-C) model to be explicitly targeted towards content creators. It’s a 21MP compact mirrorless camera that can shoot 4K/30 or 1080/120 video with quick and easy content sharing to smartphones.
The Z30 fairly closely resembles the existing Z50 model in both appearance and specification, but gains the fully articulating screen from the retro-styled Z fc and does away with the viewfinder.
Twin microphones sit on the top plate and there’s a tally lamp on the front of the body to let you know when you’re recording. The [REC] button has also been made more prominent to make it easier to hit when you’re holding the camera out at arms length.
Most other details are familiar, though: the same 21MP CMOS sensor, 3.0″ 1.04M dot touchscreen and EN-EL25 battery, delivering a moderate 330 shot-per-charge rating. Thermal management has been improved and the ability to power the camera over USB added, which allows for up to 125 minutes of 4K capture, Nikon says (ambient temperature not specified).
Like its closest rival, and ‘DX’ siblings, there’s no in-body image stabilization, but the camera is offered with a stabilized 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR lens. Also absent is a headphone port for audio monitoring.
The Z30 will be available in mid-July at a recommended price of $709.95. A kit with the 16-50mm VR lens takes the price to $849.95 and adding a 55-250mm F3.5-6.3 VR on top of this pushes the cost to $1109.95. A ‘Creators Accessory Kit’ that includes a Røde Videomicro shotgun microphone, Smallrig tripod/selfie handle and a ML-L7 Bluetooth remote that clips into it costs $149.95.
The first step to next-level video content: The Nikon Z 30 is MADE for creators
Whether it’s a Hustle or a Hobby, You and the Nikon Z 30 Will Get it Done
MELVILLE, NY (June 29, 2022) Nikon Inc.’s newest Z 30 mirrorless camera is designed specifically for video content creators, vloggers and streamers. This small, lightweight, feature packed camera applies Nikon’s expertise in all things imaging, giving creators the ability to easily produce the kind of video content that gets noticed.
With the Nikon Z 30, it’s simple to consistently create professional-looking 4K UHD video to get the look you want, with sharp focus, beautiful blurred backgrounds and appealing audio- all on the first take. Swivel front-facing LCD and REC lamp? Got it. Mic input? Better low light performance? Of course. Even though it’s got an affordable price and simple controls, the Z 30 is packed with more advanced features that level up with you, helping to take your content and your channel further.
“A real camera with interchangeable lenses is a big leap in a creator’s personal evolution,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc. “We want to support creators by taking the guesswork out of how to get the best production value, which helps them to take their creativity further and grow their communities.”
Creator-Centric Features That Make Sense:
- Front-facing Vari-Angle touchscreen-LCD lets you see yourself in the scene as you compose your shots, confirm the frame, adjust focus and make sure you are always camera-ready. The bright 3.0-inch high-res screen will also feel familiar with the ability to swipe, pinch and zoom through playback and menus, while it also tilts to easily frame unique angles from below the hip or from above.
- The Nikon Z 30 and NIKKOR Z lenses help you create soft, blurred backgrounds that are a hallmark of higher quality content. The main subject remains sharp, in order to draw your viewer’s attention toward you or anything you want them to see, whether it’s a face or prominent product shot.
- Reliably fast and sharp autofocus keeps you in focus, precisely following as you move around the scene, with the added benefit of Eye Detection AF.
- REC lamp acts as a tally light, illuminating on the front of the camera to confirm recording and peace of mind.
- Higher quality audio enhances your content thanks to a built-in stereo microphone, plus an additional input for using a more powerful external stereo or directional microphone.
- Get it all in one take with more than two hours (125 minutes1) of recording time, which is ideal for longer videos such as an extensive DIY.
- Superior low light performance gives you the freedom to shoot indoors, when it’s cloudy or at night, for clear and sharp video, with minimal noise and fast focus. Even in low light, the full-time focus will continuously track you while walking with the screen in self-portrait mode. The ISO range goes up to 25600 for video and 51200 for photos, enabling sharp rendering of details and textures in lower light.
- Sharp video quality at up to 4K 30P UHD with plenty of room to punch in, or Full HD up to 120P to easily create dramatic slow-motion. What you see is what you get, as the Z 30 captures 4K with no additional crop so you don’t lose any of your frame.
- Get the look you want with the Picture Control Auto function, which adjusts the video settings according to the scene. There are also 20 different types of Creative Picture Controls to add creative flair to video, and eliminate the need for extra color grading.
- Using Nikon’s precise color profiling, scenes and skin tones are reproduced naturally and accurately straight out of camera, with a genuinely inviting vibe that’s never cold or clinical.
- Record on widely available SD cards, which come in a variety of large sizes.
- Keep the camera running using an external USB-C power source, a great feature that can eliminate the need to swap batteries during a shoot. The camera also works with Nikon’s free Webcam Utility streaming software to integrate for streaming or web conferences.
- Minimalist, lightweight design that is easy to carry and vlog with. This is the smallest and lightest Z series mirrorless camera ever made. The form factor and weight is made for content creation, vlogging and streaming. It’s balanced and comfortable to hold for long periods of time and small enough to pack. Simple dials give you complete control of settings like aperture and shutter speed for a desired effect.
- Always connected to your phone (iOS or Android)2 for easy automatic transfer of images using the free Nikon SnapBridge App. If your workflow is editing and posting from your phone, you can also connect to wirelessly send videos from the Z 30 to your device. Using the app, you can also use your phone as a remote control to start and stop your recording, when you are in front of the camera.
Superb Still-Camera Features
Create better thumbnails and cross-promote posts for your other channels that drive to your video content using the Z 30. The 20 megapixel APS-C /DX-format CMOS sensor captures super-sharp and high-res still images, in any kind of light. Whether you’re shooting a once in a lifetime landscape shot, a cooking close up , the Milky Way at midnight or a gorgeous portrait, users have the option to use fully automatic modes or get creative with advanced settings. The Z 30 is also incredibly fast, with the ability to capture people and pets at up to 11 fps3. What’s more, if you love what you’re seeing in the LCD, you can even snap a selfie while recording video.
Creativity Has No Limits with NIKKOR Z Lenses
The Z 30 is an interchangeable lens mirrorless camera that opens up an exciting world of possibilities with a wide array of NIKKOR Z lenses, from super–wide lenses for interiors, small spaces and landscapes, incredibly close macro for tiny details on products, or far away action with a telephoto lens. NIKKOR Z glass is specially designed to address the needs of video creators with silent operation, and by minimizing the breathing effect during focusing, while delivering gorgeously rendered colors for a true-to-life experience. Creators can choose a growing collection of more than 30 NIKKOR Z lenses, including:
- NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR (included in all Z 30 kits, except when body is sold separately): The Z 30 comes with this extremely small yet versatile zoom lens, that’s great for wide angles, especially when talking directly to the camera. It also features built-in VR (vibration reduction) image stabilization to help create smooth footage and sharp images, even when handheld.
- NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR (included in Z 30 Two Lens Kit): Lightweight long zoom lens option with built-in VR that’s great for shots that require extra reach, such as sports and animals.
- NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 and 28mm f/2.8: Super-compact “walk-around” primes that are perfect for flattering portraits, casual shooting, travel and discrete street snaps.
- NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8: A fantastic macro lens lets you get closer to the things you love to get all of the details. Great for food shots, product shots, nature images and more.
Pricing and Availability
The new Nikon Z 30 will be available in mid-July 2022 in a variety of kit configurations; As a body only for $709.95 SRP, with a NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 lens for $849.95 SRP*, or as a two lens kit with the NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 for $1199.95 SRP*. The camera will also be available with the NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 lens for $1149.95 SRP* starting in November. Nikon will also offer a Creators Accessory Kit for $149.95 SRP*, which will include a SmallRig Tripod Grip, the Nikon ML-L7 bluetooth remote control, plus the Rode VideoMicro Microphone. A hot shoe-mounted Wind Muff for the built-in microphone will also be available for $9.95 SRP*.
For more information about the latest Nikon products, including other NIKKOR Z lenses and the entire collection of Z series cameras, please visit nikonusa.com.
- In Full HD/24p/25p at 25℃/77℉. The camera’s ability to always achieve the full 125 minutes is dependent on conditions like battery life or the camera’s internal temperature. Approx. 35 minutes of recording time is available in 4K UHD.
- iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® and Android™ devices to which the SnapBridge app has been installed can be used. The SnapBridge app can be downloaded free of charge from the App Store® and Google Play™. See Nikon’s website for further information.
- Apple®, App Store®, the Apple logos, iPhone®, iPad® are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.
- The iPhone trademark is used under license from Aiphone Co., Ltd.
- Android™ and Google Play™ are trademarks of Google LLC.
- With a mechanical shutter, in high-speed continuous shooting (extended), in JPEG and 12-bit RAW recording.
*SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
Nikon Z30 Specifications
|MSRP||$710 (body), $850 (w/16-50mm lens), $1050 (w/16-50 & 50-250mm lenses)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Body material||Magnesium alloy|
|Max resolution||5568 x 3712|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||21 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||22 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.7 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Color filter array||Primary color filter|
|ISO||Auto, 100-51200 (expands to 204,800)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||204800|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal, basic|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||209|
|Lens mount||Nikon Z|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Flash range||7.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash X sync speed||1/200 sec|
|Continuous drive||11.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC card (UHS-I supported)|
USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)
|HDMI||Yes (micro HDMI)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||EN-EL25 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||330|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||405 g (0.89 lb / 14.29 oz)|
|Dimensions||128 x 74 x 60 mm (5.04 x 2.91 x 2.36″)|