Fujifilm launches the 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR, it’s longest super telephoto zoom to date
|Click to enlarge.|
Fujifilm has its largest super telephoto zoom lens to date, the 150–600mm F5.6–8 R LM OIS WR. This lens, according to Fujifilm, has been ‘engineered for photographers who rely on extreme zoom capabilities, even in the most challenging photographic situations.’
The lens, which offers a full-frame equivalent focal length range of 229–914mm, uses an optical design comprised of 24 elements in 17 groups, including three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and four Super ED elements. If the 914mm equiv. focal length isn’t enough, this lens can be paired with Fujifilm’s XF 1.4X TC WR or XF 2X TC WR teleconverters to top out at 1350mm equiv. and 1828mm equiv., respectively.
The comparatively slow aperture at the long end would be reduced to F11 by the 1.4x teleconverter and F16 by the 2x version, and is already equivalent to a 229-914mm F8.4-12 lens on full-frame.
|Click to enlarge.|
Autofocus is driven via Fujifilm’s linear motor technology. In addition to a Focus Limiter function, which can minimize focus acquisition time by limiting the focus range to 4.8m (16ft) or more, the lens also features a Focus Preset function that will recall a pre-defined focusing distance assigned by the SET button. Optical image stabilization is CIPA-rated for five stops of exposure compensation across the entire focal range.
The internal frame of the lens is constructed using a magnesium allow and the body of the lens is matte silver minimize the likelihood of extreme heat affecting the image quality of the lens. It’s weather-sealed in 19 locations and can operate down to -10ºC (14ºF). The lens measures 99mm (3.9”) in diameter by 314.5mm (12.4”) long and weighs 1605g (3.54lbs).
The XF 150–600mm F5.6–8 R LM OIS WR is expected to be available in early July 2022 for $1,999 / $2,550 CAD.
Fujifilm Introduces FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR Lens
Super-telephoto zoom lens offers premium image quality, lightweight design and outstanding speed
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to introduce FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR telephoto zoom lens (XF150- 600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR). Engineered for photographers who rely on extreme zoom capabilities, even in the most challenging photographic situations. From distant wildlife to sprawling landscape photography, XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR is designed to create long-distance images with pinpoint accuracy.
“The outstanding coverage that is achievable with this lens places a range of far- reaching subjects–including wildlife, nature, and landscape details–firmly within frame,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “An incredible focal range paired with fast, reliable autofocus, and a perfectly balanced, lightweight design removes barriers between photographers and their subjects, so their only limitation is their own creativity.”
The lens consists of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and four Super ED elements, to deliver an advanced level of image resolution edge to edge across the entire zoom range.
Covering 35mm equivalent focal lengths of 229mm – 914mm, image makers can extend the reach of XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR through either FUJIFILM XF1.4X TC WR or FUJIFILM XF2X TC WR teleconverters. The lens’s longest focal length extends to 1200mm (35mm equivalent of 1828mm), closing distances in an instant.
The fast autofocus system, driven by a linear motor, attains precise focus quickly and accurately, even in the super-telephoto range, where focusing can be difficult due to a shallow depth of field.
Main XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR Product Features:
Fujifilm’s longest super-telephoto range delivers premium image quality
- HT-EBC coating, typically used on broadcast lenses, has been applied on all elements of XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR, to achieve high transmittance and low reflectance despite containing 24 lens elements.
- Compatible with FUJIFILM XF2X TC WR and XF1.4X TC WR.
- XF2X TC WR – 300mm to 1200mm
(35mm equivalent focal lengths of 457mm – 1828mm
- XF1.4 TC WR – 210mm to 900mm
(35mm equivalent focal lengths of 315mm – 1350mm
- XF2X TC WR – 300mm to 1200mm
Rugged yet lightweight design to reduce user load, enabling extended shooting in a variety of situations
● XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR weighs just 3.5 pounds (1605g)1 despite being a super-telephoto zoom reaching up to 600mm. Two super ED elements are used to keep the lens barrel small, while maintaining an advanced level of image-resolving performance. The use of an Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel maintains a constant length at every focal length. This results in a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution.
● The lens body is matte silver to mitigate temperature increase under even the most challenging wildlife, nature, and landscape photography environments.
● Magnesium alloy is used for the internal base frame that supports the lens structure to maintain durability, while keeping the overall lens weight low.
● The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 19 locations for dust and weather- resistance and the ability to operate at temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius).
5-stop image stabilization mechanism
● XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR features a high-precision sensor and control system to deliver up to 5-stops2 of optical image stabilization, making it easier than ever to make images at even the super-telephoto range.
Diverse functions for fast and silent autofocus (AF) and easy AF operation
● XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR uses the Inner Focus system, which drives the lens with a linear motor to achieve fast and silent AF. Focus is attained in as fast as 0.25 seconds,3 even in the hard-to-focus super-telephoto range.
● The Focus Preset function ensures the lens remembers the focus setting for a location pre-defined with the SET button4. Users can keep creating images without having to re-adjust focus on a targeted subject.
● The Focus Limiter allows users to restrict the lens AF range. This can effectively shorten AF time when photographing a subject that is 16 feet (5 meters) away or more. The Focus Control button is conveniently located at the front edge of the lens barrel4. The Focus Select switch may be used for added operability of AF and focus lock.
1 Without lens hood, lens cap, and tripod collar foot
2 Compliant with CIPA in pitch / yaw directions
3 AF speed measured at the telephoto end, using CIPA Guideline compliant measurement method, and when mounted on the FUJIFILM X-T4 mirrorless digital camera with Phase Detection AF activated and in High Performance Mode. The AF speed at the wide-angle end under the identical condition is approx. 0.15 seconds.
4 Fujifilm’s latest X Series digital camera firmware update must be downloaded to activate the lens Focus Preset function and the Focus Control button. An applicable firmware update for the FUJIFILM X-T4, FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-S10 digital cameras will be forthcoming.
Pricing and Availability
FUJIFILM XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR is expected to be available in early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $1,999 USD and $2,550 CAD. For more information on this lens, visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/xf150- 600mmf56-8-r-lm-ois-wr/.
Fujifilm XF 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR Specifications
|Lens type||Zoom lens|
|Max Format size||APS-C / DX|
|Focal length||150–600 mm|
|CIPA Image stabilization rating||5 stop(s)|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm X|
|Special elements / coatings||4 Super ED elements, 3 ED elements|
|Minimum focus||2.40 m (94.49″)|
|Motor type||Linear Motor|
|Full time manual||Unknown|
|Focus notes||Inner Focus|
|Focus distance limiter||>16ft|
|Weight||1605 g (3.54 lb)|
|Diameter||99 mm (3.9″)|
|Length||315 mm (12.4″)|
|Zoom method||Rotary (internal)|
|Filter thread||82 mm|